Download PDF here Sept. 21, 2008 8:06PM There is almost so much to write about Scarlett and Maconnell already I don’t think I’m going to catch up1 so I just thought everyone might want to be prepared when they meet Scarlett again. As you all know, there is a small bet that she will be walking by Thanksgiving, but extrapolating from the available evidence, it seems like it might be next week that Scarlett is taking her first steps and maybe another week before she is asking to borrow the car.
I thought Ivan’s kids were loud and never imagined that my kids would be so, but Scarlett has not only exceeded expectations but can squeal at such a high pitch that for just a few seconds it appears that her mouth is open and no sound comes out, but in actuality what has happened is her pitch has gone ultrasonic2 for a few seconds and then she returns back to earth and follows it with a surprisingly raspy “WHarrr!“3 The expression at these times is the most interesting bit: There is not a hint of displeasure or irritation, but more of an open, arched eyebrow, eyes wide open surprised look that suggests even she is astonished by just how much noise she can generate.
At these times, Maconnell is usually doing something4 that has caught our attention which makes me wonder if it isn’t some sort of attention grabbing maneuver she has engineered. Usually though, Maconnell is deep into his almost-Talmudic study of Elmo and all things Elmo, 24 hours a day, but he has definitely discovered he has a sister and has commenced trying to stomp, smother, bat on the head with baseball bat, rip any and all playthings from the fist of, but also will give kisses and hugs and pats on the head to his sister, Scarlett.
- But not for lack of trying, I’m told that I’m already trying to provide so much documentary photographs and video, that I have been told to not output so much, i.e., looking at five photos of the kids is OK once every week or so, but being presented with upwards of 100 to 150 photos of pretty much the same exact pose or composition tends to wear thin, I’m told. [↩]
- which explains why the dogs already seem a bit cowed by her and lay low whenever she approaches [↩]
- It sounds almost like the Whassup! commercials I was showing her, but had no idea she would pick up. You can watch them here Also a good remake is here. [↩]
- When he isn’t watching Elmo, he be counted on to be trying to:
- rip the cat’s tail off
- exit the front door and escape into the front yard
- reach up and over onto the counter thus demonstrating that there is less and less space that can be considered safe
- climb up and jump off any and all availble seat cushions or stair steps that have resulted in some really amazing crashes
- on particular stellar days, not only escape out the front door but escape with cars keys
- throw all the cusions of the couch onto the floor and proceed to eat whatever and I mean whatever he finds underneath and between the cushions. Eecchhh.